Care Staff Day Services (SC031)
Duration of Post
Permanent Full Time (39 hours per week)
Palmerstown, West Dublin, Kildare and Meath.
Director of Care, Day Services
The role and responsibility of Care Staff includes the following: to train, provide support and encourage service users to participate fully in their work, activation, training and education programmes.
Scope of the Role
The Care Staff is a member of the Day Services Department and will deliver care in conjunction with the wider multidisciplinary team and other relevant agencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Team Members in the delivery of appropriate services to those attending Day Services, having due regard for their safety and the safety of others, both on and off the premises, including outdoor activities.
• Support service users in conjunction with Person Centred Planning (PCP) to set personal goals develop and carry out a plan to achieve these goals.
• Listen to their wishes and support them to advocate for themselves; while encouraging them to take responsibility for decisions in their day to day lives.
• Support the service user to carry out a swimming programme, which will include entering the pool.
• Act as a key worker for the service user. (A member of staff appointed to assist and support individuals to achieve their goals. The keyworker is the central point of contact for the individual and for families)
• Personal assistance for service users in the areas of personal needs including Intimate care.
• Work as part of a team in contributing to the design and further development of the Day Services Programme in line with New Directions.
• Have responsibility for running various aspects of the day programme and recording activities on the electronic information management system.
• Responsibility of the development of individualised programme of activity for a service user/s
• Use a flexible approach to help meet service user’s individual needs.
• Attend and participate creatively in team meetings.
• Maintaining record systems in accordance to Adult Services policies.
• Maintain a code of confidentiality and discretion in all dealings with service users, families and staff.
• Driving duties as required
• Escort duties to transport service users to and from home each morning and evening as required.
• Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
Education & Training
• Partake in career and personal development planning.
• Maintain own professional development and competence.
• Actively participate in induction, supervision, mentoring, appraisal, reflection and be open to reflective practice.
• Attend mandatory training programmes as directed by Stewarts Care.
Quality and Risk, Health and Safety Management
• Participate in any quality improvement projects and change initiatives which may be introduced.
• Follow and adhere to all risk related guidelines as stipulated by Risk Management.
• Ensure the highest level of confidentiality pertaining to all organisational stakeholders.
• Maintain appropriate service user record details and statistics in accordance with organisational and departmental guidelines, along with the Freedom of Information Act.
• Comply with and contribute to the development of relevant organisational policies, legislation and professional policies, guidelines and requirements to ensure safe practice and high standards of service delivery.
• Work in a safe manner with due care and attention to the safety of self and others.
• Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role.
• Follow and adhere to the Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse National Policy and the Organisations Safeguarding procedures.
• Responsibility for daily administration duties.
• Positive representation of the Day Services department through effective communication and engagement with other disciplines.
• Compliance with Stewarts Care HR policies with respect to all types of leave, to ensure the Day Services department needs are met.
• Compliance with Health and Safety regulations within the workplace at all times.
• Compliance with all relevant statutory local and organisational regulations and policies at all times.
• Maintain appropriate service user records and comply with department policies regarding clinical documentation practices.
• Contribute to implementing and achieving KPIs as agreed by the Line Manager.
Competencies, Skills and Knowledge
Candidates must demonstrate sufficient competency and professional knowledge to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role.
Education and Skills
• Minimum QQI Level 5 (Healthcare Support) or SKILL-VEC Level 5.
• One years’ experience working in the area of disability is preferable.
• Excellent Communication Skills.
• Knowledge of New Directions Guidelines and Interim Standards.
• Flexibility to work in all areas of Day Services.
• Genuine respect and empathy for diversity and individuality.
• Flexible, responsible and mature approach to work.
• Creativity (e.g. in using community resources, problem solving, dealing with service user needs).
• Professional, accountable, good planning and time management skills.
Organisational & Role Specific Knowledge
• Demonstrates knowledge of the services provided by the organisation.
• Knowledge of the organisational structure and functions.
• Awareness of the organisation’s Strategic Plan 2016-2019.
• Knowledge of HIQA, the Health Act 2007- 2013, Progressing Disability Services for children and young people, New Directions & Mental Health in Intellectual disability.
• Effective communication skills both verbal and written.
• Understanding the importance of the MDT in the provision of care and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders.
• Ability to engage and negotiate with relevant stakeholders in the best interests of service users.
• Proficient in Microsoft suite and strong ICT skills relevant to the role.
• Ability to work on own initiative.
• Ability to prioritise and organise tasks within a dynamic and changing environment.
• Resilience, positive attitude and openness to change.
• Displays high personal standards, gives and receives feedback.
Planning and Organising
• Effectively deal with a wide range of information sources, investigating all relevant issues.
• Draws accurate conclusions and makes balanced and fair recommendations backed up with evidence.
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
This job description is a guide to the general range of duties assigned to the post holder. It is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive and is subject to periodic review with the employee concerned